Compliance Regulations are in place for the protection of ourselves, other members of the public and property. It is imperative for anyone building a product for use on the public highway to ensure ALL the relevant regulations are strictly complied with.
Compliance is complex – with Australian Standards and Australian Design Rules applying across all States and Territories whilst many other Regulations (such as gas compliance, brake controllers etc) varying between individual States.
DIY Caravans strongly recommends the finished project is certified as compliant by an Approved Engineer. This certificate will assist when you first register the caravan/vehicle at your State Transport Office.
Click here to view an Example-Trailer-Compliance-Cerificate
DIY Caravans is a member of the Caravan and Trade Industry Association of Queensland, and provides information as we receive it in good faith regarding compliance matters to assist customers with their projects. However customers should be aware that Regulations and Standards do change over time and they should check with the relevant authorities when building their project to ensure they comply with the latest requirements. Your engineer will be able to help with this.
Building a fully compliant DIY project has many benefits for the builder:
- Confidence you can enjoy it safely with your friends and family
- Reduces the risk of any breakdowns or failures
- Certification by your local engineer and easy Registration
- Competitive insurance premiums and good resale value
- Having a road worthy done will be straightforward
In the Caravan Industry some of the key areas to understand are:
- Building a small trailer for use on the highway
- Towing weights – understanding the terms used and what weight you can legally tow
- Gas installations
- 240 volt installations
- Safe towing on the road