Regulations are in place for the protection of ourselves, other members of the public and property.
DIY Compliance Info is not an exhaustive record but a summary of the more important areas you SHOULD understand and adhere to if they are relevant to your project. And don’t expect Compliance to be logical – as although Australian Standards and Australian Design Rules are Federal, there are also many examples where individual States have their own Regulations.
DIY Caravans is a member of the Caravan and Trade Industry Association of Queensland, and can offer DIY customers guidance from the Association on compliance matters if you have any specific queries.
Building a compliant DIY project has a number of benefits:
- You can enjoy it safely with your friends and family
- Any breakdowns or failures are much less likely
- Certification by a local engineer is likely to enhance it’s value
- Having a road worthy done will be a breeze
By drawing on our many years of manufacturing experience, DIY provides summary information that will take you to the appropriate website or organisation to find out all you need to know. In the Caravan Industry the most relevant areas to understand are:
- Building a small trailer for use on the highway
- Towing weights – understanding the terms used and what weight you can tow
- Gas installations
- 240 volt installations
- Safe towing on the road
We address all of these areas in detail right here, so use the search facility at the top of the page or browse the archives below to find the information you’re after.